The do's and don'ts of writing amazing lists
At Top10Zen the readers are our top priority and - if you want them to love your lists - they should be yours too.
For that to happen you will need to put a lot of effort into your writing. If you portray equal portions of expertise, personality, and professionalism in your list then our readers will have no choice but to pay attention to your work, and by proxy to you.
We've compiled a list of guidelines that will help you make lists which excel in their field, draw in the reader, and make them want to read through your whole list as well as share it with their friends.
- Each list should contain a minimum of 1,000 words.
- Your English must be fluent, and you should make sure to minimize grammatical and spelling mistakes.
- A unique writing style is preferred, and humor is encouraged (where appropriate). Educational lists should strive for a professional voice, whereas entertaining or informative lists should be written with more of a personal touch.
- Good research and facts are the lifeblood of any good list. Make sure to include nuggets of useful information in each list item. Each fact must be backed up by links to the source (citations).
- Lists should contain new or unique information. Common knowledge does not make for a good list item.
- Images for the lists should be of high quality and related to the list topic. This will help draw the reader's attention.
- It's preferable for each list item to include an image or youtube video when applicable.
- The list should feel and sound credible and trustworthy. It should be written with the voice of authority and expertise in the field being discussed.
Choosing A Topic For Your List
The topic of your list is perhaps the single most important choice you'll have to make. A great topic will draw in readers eager to read what you've written, and a boring, poorly selected topic can mean doom for your list right from the onset.
Our Readers Generally Prefers Topics Such As:
- Interesting/Unique/Rare facts about something or other. Example: 10 Mind-Blowing Facts About The Universe.
- Mysteries and Mysterious occurences. Example: 10 Anomalies From The Deep Sea.
- Funny lists. Example: 10 Ways To Survive The Zombie Apocalypse.
- Bizarre/Weird lists. Example: 10 Shocking Documentaries You Have To See.
- Technology and innovation. Example: 10 NASA spinoffs resulting from the space race.